Animals and Pets
print friendly textonly
Animals and Pets
Animal Licensing

Pet licensing helps ensure that pets are healthy, safe and happy.  Pet owners who are concerned with their animal's health and safety will take the easy step to ensure that their pets are licensed.


While Foster City does not have leash or licensing laws for cats, we realize that sometimes free-roaming cats can be a nuisance. Households are limited to no more than two cats. Although it is not required, cat owners are encouraged to license their cats to make sure that they can be easily reunited with their cat if it strays from home.  Go to this page to learn more about licensing, nuisance cats and the City's efforts to control homeless cats on the levee Pedway.


Dogs are a welcome addition to a household, and they can also bring new challenges and responsibilities.  Households are limited to no more than 2 dogs.  This page will tell you more about licensing requirements, what you can do about barking dogs in your neighborhood and your responsibility to clean up after your pet.

Facilities for Pets

Foster City attempts to provide a clean, safe environment for people as well as one that is friendly to animals. Many Foster City residents live in condominiums, apartment complexes or other rental housing that allow pets but have little space for pets to run. This is particularly true of dogs that require space to exercise.

Nuisance Animals

"No owner shall fail to exercise proper care and control of his animals to prevent them from becoming a public nuisance (Foster City Municipal Code)." Nuisances include excessive, continuous or untimely barking, molesting passersby, chasing vehicles, attacking other domestic animals and trespassing on school grounds or private property causing damage.

Peninsula Humane Society

The Peninsula Humane Society, or PHS, contracts with San Mateo County to provide animal control services for Foster City. PHS is available on a 24-hour emergency call basis to pick up stray animals or injured stray animals. Go to this page to learn more about the Animal Control services of PHS.

Dealing with Wild Animal

From time to time undomesticated or "wild" animals such as raccoons, skunks and opossums wander into residential and commercial areas. The City does not have a program to manage wildlife on private property.  If they are unable to successfully use integrated pest management principles to encourage wildlife to move, property owners are advised to contact a qualified and licensed animal control company which can trap and remove an animals from private property.  Go to this page to learn more about dealing with urban wildlife.


Many of the wild birds in Foster City are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty or other legislation, but that doesn't prevent them from presenting problems for property owners on occasion.  Find out more about the birds and how to interact with them successfully.


City Hall - 610 Foster City Blvd.
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 286-3200